Thursday, May 1, 2008

Be Not Afraid

Sometimes you meet people or hear something and you know it is going to have an impact on your life. This past Christmas I went to Catholic mass in a hotel in South Africa . I got lost on the way was very late. I was upset that I was going to miss the homily because I had a feeling that I was going to learn something very important and useful. Well, I got to mass and it was almost over but the priest decided that he wanted to go over two important points. First, that people should learn how to relax...that being a perfect blade of grass doesn't mean that you stick straight up all of the time. Sometimes that perfect blade of grass needs to bend in the breeze or push around a rock. That perfect blade of grass always reaches for the light but it doesn't have to stick straight up all of the time to do that. "Relax and go with the flow", the priest said.
The second point the priest mentioned was to not be afraid. Jesus doesn't want you to be afraid. God mentions not being afraid 365 times in the Bible- once for every day of the year.
Think about that - my how practice would change if you were never afraid. Never afraid of dying during a hard set, never afraid of someone beating you...What if you had no fear in racing and you were always free to do your best everyday?
That mass changed my life.

No comments: